The PC Double Standards of Facebook

When I first joined Facebook, I thought it had some kind of rules and standards that applied to everyone. It did not take long for me to realize that they are just like every other big business that will have certain rules that they will enforce when it is expedient. (It is laughable that Rule Six under "Safety" is that you will not bully or harass others. I've been bullied, and I've hit back.) There are Pages and Groups that exist only to ridicule Christians, Israel, Conservatives and so forth (Rule Seven prohibits hate speech). Although I was able to help get a few taken down, there are other noteworthy pages that are still up, despite the obvious and flagrant violations of Facebook's alleged standards.

And yet, legitimate Pages and Groups that have a special interest can get shut down. Nothing wrong with their content, and leaving them up will mean that Facebook lives by its alleged mission, "Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected". It ain't happening, Harold.
I received the news yesterday that the Facebook page for my book A Queer Thing Happened to America was deleted for allegedly violating Facebook’s “Community Standards.” But Facebook pages like “Hitler Fetus is our Jesus,” “Zombie Jesus,” and a host of other grossly offensive pages apparently do not violate these standards.
The Facebook page for my book had been online for about one year, containing reader comments, links to reviews, and relevant news links that some members would post. All in all, the page was quite benign and, being older, fairly inactive. As for the book itself, it is carefully and compassionately written, meticulously documented, and, in reality, an exposé of hate speech rather than an example of hate speech. Yet the page, which featured the cover of the book, allegedly violated Facebook’s Community Standards.
I found out that the page had been removed when the creator of the page posted on his personal Facebook page: “Facebook locked my account and showed me this, saying this page I created last year violated their community standards. Wow...” The note from Facebook contained a copy of the front cover of my book and stated, “We removed the following content you posted or were the admin of because it violates Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.”
Read the rest of "The Facebook Censor Strikes", here.

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online