UPS Tracking Number 41133182


Buona sera. I haven't been thundering here much lately, and now it's time to make up for it. Pay attention, willya? This is important, and I don't care what your political leanings are, we can sort that out later.

I was sent a virus today. A virus will stop all of your uncluttering and productivity efforts right in their tracks. This one arrived at one of my throw-away accounts. That got my attention because I do not use that account for anything serious. My main indication that this was something to be on guard against was that Thunderbird 3 told me, "Hey, this looks like spam!" Click on the picture to see it enlarged (better yet, use Firefox, right-click, open link in new tab).
Also, it had a Zipped file attachment (bottom left). Alarm bells are going off in my head.

Now, I understand that most of my readers are careful, but some things are worth saying over and over anyway: Never open an attachment from a stranger! The attachment is the virus. That's what happens most of the time, capice?

People like me get suspicious and want to check things out more. So, I clicked on Thunderbird's "Show Full Headers" function (very annoying unless you're looking for something, and the default is "normal" headers). Although it claims to be from a UPS manager (and sometimes they pretend to come from the US Postal Service) , the sender is lying. The headers are not faked very far, and some of the domains end in "de". Uh, that's Germany, and I don't think UPS is sending me mail routed through Germany.

The actual letter is below. Note the awkward wording ("please attention") and the use of "our post office" at the alleged UPS:
Hello!

The courier company was not able to deliver your parcel by your address.
Cause: Error in shipping address.

You may pickup the parcel at our post office personaly!

Please attention!
The shipping label is attached to this e-mail.
Please print this label to get this package at our post office.


Please do not reply to this e-mail, it is an unmonitored mailbox.



Thank you.
United Parcel Service.
Strange thing about this is that I really was expecting a package.

Now that I have my information and my anger, I can post this and warn you. If you
click here, you can get more information on the virus, including how to remove it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online