The Witching Hour

Buon giorno. Well, it seems that someone has been telling Nicky some tales again. These tales tied into things he was told as a child and got him a bit nervous. And I've been wanting to talk again about why we believe things. Or more importantly, why I believe things.

Particularly, it's "The Witching Hour". Now, I've been thinking about it myself off and on (especially when people run off at the mouth). What is it? When ghoulies, ghosties and long-legged beasties go bump in the night, of course. When evil things are more powerful and will get you. Bwahahahaha!

I've heard people who believe in spirit activity say that you can be affected in your sleep during this time. Some say you can't sleep with your mouth open because something will come in and possess you or whatever. Uh huh. Sure.

OK, so the mythology is uncertain. The Witching Hour is mostly a European concept. Do other cultures have one? Also, when is it? Some say midnight, some say three AM, some say from midnight to three (that's a long hour!).

I've always wondered: do spirits observe time zones? "No, Fred, you can't possess him yet. It's central time over there!" For that matter, what do spirits or thingies do during Daylight Savings Time? That would be irritating, to be trying to do some serious evil and then have to wait a while, or discover that you missed your chance because you didn't reset your spirit clock. What happens in other countries, and when does it happen? (The evil spirits in Tibet are wearing Chinese Army uniforms.) If it's witching time here, what about in Italy, for instance? See how easily this gets absurd?

I need reasons to believe things. Not just because someone said, "This is the truth". These reasons include:
* My own experiences
* Experiences from trusted sources
* Scientific facts and evidence
* Archaeological facts and evidence
* The overall weight of evidence in light of other facts: do they hold up
* Reasoning powers
* Combinations of some or all of the above

If someone says to me, "This is so", but has nothing to back it up with, pardon me for being skeptical. For the record, the Bible meets my criteria, and I have found that it is entirely rational to believe that it is true.

Last night, I had a trip to the WC at 2.58 AM (the clock was right there, staring with its evil red eyes. I finished my urgent business and was pulling the blankets back on when I saw the clock blink to 3:00 AM. Ha! Back just in time! Good thing I believe more in getting my sleep than in being alarmed by scattered, unfounded tales.

Sleep well. I will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Amazing Super Powers of the Mighty Atheist™

Where Does It Stop?

Keeping My Wife at a Distance Online